Friday, December 26, 2008

Representin' VA



Like a lot of people who work with food, I was inspired by my mother.  I have very fond memories of helping her in the kitchen at a young age.  So young in fact that I recall standing on a chair just to gain a view of the contents of the mixing bowl.  I think baking with kids is a great way to allow them to help in the kitchen and gain some real knowledge of math and measuring.  It's safer than cooking because you are generally removed from the heat source and have a limited need for knives.  Plus, what better way to clean a spatula or bowl than by a child's tongue licking it?  Now, as I spend most of my life away from my mom and her kitchen, she sends the goodies to me.  This holiday was no exception as I received my Christmas cookies on the 23rd.  This holiday in Europe marks the 3rd continent, including Antarctica, on which I have received my gift of homemade cookies from Virginia.  I can't always be home for the holidays, but my mom always discovers a way for home to be with me.  For Christmas I attended a homemade meal of gnocchi and ragu at a local Italian's home.  I was proud to offer the platter of my mom's homemade treats as a dessert offering.  The guests were amazed at how fresh the sweets were after having traveled from Virginia.  That's a credit to my mom's packaging ability.  They were even more amazed at how good the cookies and peanut butter fudge tasted.  Those compliments honor my mother's ability at the cutting board or in front of the stove.  Mom, thanks for the inspiration and a special thanks for the box of goodies!

2 comments:

MupStaR said...

Mom's captured now on the Web. WOW! I see her own cooking show in syndication in the near future. Dad could be her assistant. LOL. Hope you had a Merry Christmas little brother and wish you a Great New Year! Derek

richard said...

Hi Son What a surprise!You are welcome. Glad you shared the goodies with new friends. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Love Mom