Friday, December 19, 2008

How to shave a pig...a dead one that is






So this week I had my intimate introduction to proper Italian butchering and salumi processing. And what an introduction it was! Because of my slow learning curve and the timely fashion of dealing with dead animals I worked 54 hours out of 78 hours; including a 19 hour marathon. I can't really begin to explain how much I learned in that time frame. The pigs arrived slaughtered and cleaned, but the rest was up to us. I worked primarily under the farm's butcher Riccio, but Piero, the master butcher who used to work here, showed up to help as well. I actually caught myself just watching Piero work at times. He is a master and I don't use that term lightly either. His motions were so precise and fluid that they inspire me. Riccio has worked with three different master butchers and is incorporating ideas and techniques from all to create his own program. Some methods don't change and are very traditional. It is an honor for me to be included in the making of these products that we will feature at the market tomorrow and in the future. The processing is divided into two types of meat/salami; fresh and aged. The aged products require very special care and handling since time, temperature and humidity are the components that create the desired flavor and texture. We make proscuitto, and two types of aged salumi in addition to cappicola. The fresh division includes real soppresatta, ribs, liver, spleen, pork chops and fresh sausage. We use a combination of pig and cow intestines for our salumi depending on the type. Despite the stages of exhaustion I endured, the process was amazing. I am actually looking forward to the next time so I can learn even more and apply what I already know. But, the best part of course is eating the results of our labor. Yum!

3 comments:

Liddy said...

Wow. Meat pictures. I read your last post the other day and said "Devin's going to slaughter pigs!!!?" and Smitty said, "No, no, no, no, Liddy, I think he said butcher." I said, "Oh, thank God."

Still.

Glad you're having a good time. Glad you can say "yum" at the end of all of that.. you fit into Italy well, m'dear! :)

So what is real soppresatta (as opposed to what we have) - should I ask?

MupStaR said...

What,no hairnets???!

Anonymous said...

Nice pics Devin especially the cabeza.